- Installing a solar hot water system is the single biggest action that you can take around the home to reduce greenhouse gases
- A 5 minute shower uses less hot and cold water than having a bath.
- A leaking hot water tap dripping once a second for a day will waste enough hot water to shower an extra person.
- Drive sensibly, Aggressive driving wastes petrol.
- Reverse cycle air-conditioning cost about half as much to run than a radiator, fan heater or oil-filled heater.
- Save on cooling costs in summer by drawing curtains early in the day when a hot day is forecast.
- Clean clothes dryer filters regularly - It speeds up the drying time as well as being safer
- Paint rooms in light colours, as it aids reflection to help boost available light.
- Compact fluorescent lights are by far more energy efficient then incandescent and halogen light globes and last 6-10 times longer than normal light globes. LED lights are even better.
- Wind driven and solar powered roof ventilators cost nothing to run.
- Help your air-conditioner run more efficiently, set the thermostat for summer at 25°C and for winter at 18°C.
- Select the ‘recirculate’ setting on your air-conditioner, it is more efficient to keep cooling or warming the already conditioned air inside.
- Your lighting usage accounts for about 10% of your electricity bill, so instead of lighting the whole room up, maybe a lamp will do.